My sister Catherine’s birthday is the only birthday in my family that is in the middle of summer. So we often will pig out on ice cream on her b-day and this year is no exception except this time I made her ice cream cake with her favorite brand of ice cream. I’ll show you step by step on how I put it together including the super chocolatey fudgey wudgy layer of fudge. Mmmmm:) :)
Happy Birthday Ice Cream Cake
- Vanilla ice cream: almost 2 quarts
- Chocolate ice cream: about 1 quart
- Oreo cookies: about 24 cookies that have been crushed finely.
- 1 recipe of homemade fudge
- Freshly made whipped cream frosting
Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Vanilla extract
- Lightly coat 9-inch spring form pan with butter. Spread about an inch layer of softened chocolate ice cream on bottom of pan and then freeze solid.
- Make fudge by combining cream, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, cocoa powder, and half the chocolate. Bring this to a boil stirring constantly. Bring down to a simmer and let simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off heat and add rest of the chocolate, butter and a few good globs of vanilla extract. Let cool to room temperature.
- Pour fudge over frozen chocolate ice cream and then sprinkle finely crushed oreo cookies over that and press down lightly. Refreeze.
- Add a hefty layer of softened vanilla ice cream so that it reaches the top of the spring form pan. Place in freezer again.
- Whip up the frosting by whipping the whipping cream with sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks. Remove the side of the pan from the cake by running a knife around the edge and then spread the frosting overtop. I like to refreeze before serving, although you may enjoy it with the fresh whipped cream. Both ways are excellent! Enjoy and savor during one of these hot summer days!
I used a 9" diameter and 3" deep spring form pan.
Pour room temperature fudge over the frozen first layer of ice cream.
Sprinkle crushed oreos overtop fudge and press down lightly with hand. Put back in freezer until solid.
Spread vanilla ice cream over fudge layer and refreeze. Then spread whipped cream overtop that. Make the whipped cream by beating the whipping cream, 4 tablespoons sugar, and a couple globs of vanilla extract together until stiff peaks form. Serve fresh on top of cake or as my family likes it, freeze the cake again with the whipped cream and then serve.
Homemade Fudge Sauce
In a saucepan combine cream, brown sugar, salt, light corn syrup… cocoa powder, and half the chocolate.
…cocoa powder, and half the chocolate. Bring this to a boil then let it simmer for five minutes, stirring often.
After five or so minutes, take the pot off the heat and add the rest of the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Let the fudge cool to room temperature before pouring over the frozen chocolate ice cream layer.
Enjoy and savor during one of these hot summer days! Happy birthday sissie! <3