Being such a fan of the Pineapple Upside Down Cake and being in the thick of peach season, we (my siblings and I) decided why not switch out those pineapples with peaches. Should be just as doggone good if not better right?! And, indeed, we were right. :P
Fresh Peach Upside Down Cake
- 8 cups sliced peaches (about 2 qts)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 2/3 cup AP flour
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13"x9" baking dish place peach slices evenly over bottom and sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar. Place in oven until sugar dissolves. (Usually the same amount of time it takes to put the cake batter together.)
- In medium bowl beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds and then scrape down sides. Beat on high for 3 minutes more and then pour batter over peaches.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert cake immediately onto heat-proof serving plate or leave in baking dish as is. Your choice. Serve warm with ice cream makes for an excellent summer dessert! Store at room temperature for up to three days.